They are all so different, but share many similar characteristics and it's neat to see how they are like Nick & I and our parents and siblings.
We're happy to share the "Joy of Ashley, Vinny, Emily, & Catherine " with all of our friends and family as they grow!
Saturday, May 11, 2013
It's a Happy Mother's Day!
This is my 9th Mother's Day as a mother! I am so grateful for each of our children, who have made me a mother and changed me in so many ways.

Ashley (8), our firstborn, who has grown so much in the last year or so. When she was a baby, she never slept, nursed around the clock and wanted to be carried around all the time. She is smart, quick, and loves a good corny joke. She has loved to read for years now and is becoming a great writer. She is so helpful around the house and loves to play with Catherine. She can be quick-tempered and always likes to be first and right. She dreams of being a cowgirl in Texas, living on a ranch. A couple of weeks ago, she made her First Reconciliation and then her First Communion, some of those steps in life where you begin to make your faith your own.
Vinny (5 1/2), who when he was born made me a better mother, because he did so well with routines and structure. He is funny, a great story-teller, and loves to find out how things work and to build things. He is always asking for me to read him a story. He is so sweet with his
affectionate kisses and hugs and still enjoys twirling my hair when he snuggles close. He is also very sweet with Catherine. He has, since he was a toddler, always carried around a toy in each hand. Today, it was chapstick and an empty paper towel roll (telescope). He came with me to go shopping today and he talked so much, I could barely get a word in. He is very slow to warm up to things and can be very dramatic when he doesn't want to do something. He will be starting Kindergarten next year, and I think he is ready!
Emily (3 1/2), who was the icing on our cake. She was always a sweet, easy going baby who slept 12 hours at a time when she was 3 months old. She is cute, funny and knows how
to deliver it. Once she is warmed up, she is quite the ham in front of the crowd. She loves to sing and is constantly making up her own little ditties about whatever she's thinking about or doing in that moment. She was the one who first began verbalizing "I love you" to me. She also loves to have stories read to her. Today she was so thrilled when Daddy hung up the crucifix in their room and it was near her bed. "When I'm scared, Jesus will be near me," she said. I love to hear the things that come out of her mouth. She can also be slow to warm up and will break down in tears over the slightest things -- it's as if the straw has broken the camel's back. But, in many ways whenever she wants to try a daring thing, she won't bat an eye, it just has to be in her own time.
Catherine (1), who definitely tipped the balance and made us a "girl" house. She delights me in ways I don't remember with the others, although Nick says I felt the same about the older 3 when they were babies, too. I enjoy her as my little sidekick, and it has been so cool to see her in the last couple of months as she has begun to understand more and communicate more. She is a no-nonsense kind of gal. When she's done with something, she's done and she's very clear in her communication to
you. (Take nursing, as a 'small' example! She weaned abruptly one day at only 10 1/2 months old.) At the same time, she loves a good game of playing peekaboo or rolling around on the floor with you or getting thrown up and down.
It seems like she might be the instigator of many a rumble as the kids
get older. She has been swatting at them when she doesn't like them in
her space since she gained control of her arms. I love to hear her
squeal and laugh and to see her flap her arms around when she is
excited. I can't wait to hear what she has to say one day.

They are all so different, but share many similar characteristics and it's neat to see how they are like Nick & I and our parents and siblings.
Our priest often says that the love between a husband and a wife is so real that we give it a name. We have four names and for that I am so grateful. God has blessed us with this family, and still sometimes I look at them and wonder where they came from. He has given us these souls, to love and to show them the way to Him, and the sweet twist of irony is that on that journey, it is through teaching them that we learn how to give of ourselves, how to die to ourselves, and become like Christ. May we be filled with the grace to accept the Lord's continual invitation to us and say, "Yes!" so that one day we may all together share in the heavenly banquet.
They are all so different, but share many similar characteristics and it's neat to see how they are like Nick & I and our parents and siblings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Grandpa says: the four of them are the sweetest things to be around. They help me with patience and they teach me to enjoy the important moments in this life! We love them all......
Oh yeah, and Happy Mothers Day to you Sunny!
Post a Comment